BUSM Historical Timeline
|1848 - NEFMC||1874 - BUSM||1900||1920||1940||1960||1980||2000|
New England Female Medical College
Boston Female Medical College became the first institution in the United States teaching medical subjects to women. The first class, started Nov. 1st, was composed of 12 students and 2 teachers. Dr. Samuel Gregory was its guiding light and dominant force throughout the entire history of the school.
The Female Medical Education Society was established to secure money for the Medical College.
New England Female Medical College became the new name of the former Boston Female Medical College.
Four women graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, the first women to do so from a Boston institution.
Ten laymen incorporated under the Massachusetts Homoeopathic Hospital but nothing else happened until 1871.
The state of Massachusetts issued a state charter to the College, thereby eliminating the Society as its financial source and making it an independent entity. Such action led to the establishment of state scholarships for students and a more favorable public climate supporting a hospital to become a clinical setting for students in midwifery and diseases of women and children.
BenjaminWaterhouse Professorship of Anatomy was set up by the widow of Professor Waterhouse of Harvard. This was the first professional endowment fund in history established by a woman for the medical education of women.
John Wade, a merchant and childless widower, at his death, left two bequests to the College. One endowed scholarships for women students and the other endowed the Wade Professorship of Medicine, still in existence today.
Dr. Marie Elizabeth Zakrzewska, born in Berlin of Polish descent, educated in Berlin and America with experience at the New York Hospital established by the Drs. Blackwell, was appointed Professor of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women of the College as well as resident physician in the hospital when it would be opened.
The College took possession of the Lying-in Hospital building on Springfield Street. The plan was to have both the College and Hospital under one roof. On September 1st, the 12 bed hospital opened its doors, making it the largest hospital for women and children in the U.S. until after 1863.
Hospital of the New England Female Medical College closed due to dissensions between Dr. Samuel Gregory and Dr. Zakrzewska concerning policies on medical education, controversy between faculty and trustees over tenure, trustees with the Board of Lady Managers over new member appointments - all public knowledge. Financial problems begun by the economic depression of 1857 and continued by the Civil War affected contributions.
New England Hospital for Women and Children opened right after the closing of the College's hospital. Dr. Zakrzewska became the director and others who had worked in the College hospital joined her.
The College moved to a rented house on Canton Street to conduct classes.
Boston City Hospital opened
Waterhouse Professorship of Anatomy became a reality. The New England Female Medical College was one of the earliest independent medical colleges to have such an endowment for a faculty post before the end of the Civil War.
Rebecca Lee, the first black woman in the country to receive a medical degree, graduated from the College.
New England Female Medical College was the subject of a state investigation based on trustees' negligence of duties, irregularities in trustee election practices and misapplication of state funds and bequests. The result of the investigation was the reorganization of the board of trustees, a new set of bylaws affecting teaching staff size and positions, and greater faculty independence. The unfavorable newspaper publicity surrounding this investigation stopped contributions to the building fund.
Committee came together to focus on funding for a New England Female Medical College building.
New England Homoeopathic Medical College incorporated. It was chartered but not organized. There was no building nor were classes conducted.
Work began on the Medical School Building.
Boston University came into existence.
New England Female Medical College building dedicated on a lot between East Concord and Stoughton Streets. After 22 years, the School finally had its own home, even if it was not paid for yet.
Massachusetts Homoeopathic Hospital opened a 14 bed facility at Burroughs Place.
Dr. Samuel Gregory, chief administrative officer of the New England Female Medical College from its origin, died of tuberculosis at 58.
A fair organized by the Ladies Aid Association and conducted over a period of ten days raised money for the Homoeopathic Hospital.
New England Female Medical College first approached Boston University (April) to take some of its property to use for a teaching hospital where its students could go but nothing materialized
Dr. Israel Talbot, leading homeopathic physician of the day, sent a letter of application to align the Homoeopathic Medical College with the University (November)
New England Female Medical
College proposed an alignment with Harvard (May) but $50,000 would need
to be raised to go forward with this plan.
The Great Fire in the business district of Boston (November) raged for 2 days and engulfed 800 buildings. Most of the trustees of the New England Female Medical College were adversely affected by this disaster. For the College, there was no hope to raise money to pay the mortgage on the school building and no chance to raise the necessary funds to become a department of Harvard University.
Board of Trustees of the College proposed a merger with Boston University.
March 5th was the date of the last graduating class of the New England Female Medical College.
BOSTON UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Legislative authorization of the merger whereby both institutions signed enabling act.
March 4th was the date of the first graduating class of Boston University School of Medicine.
The original Medical School building was enlarged.
Home Medical Care Program established. It is believed to be the oldest in America, a forerunner of the Community Medicine trend.
Massachusetts Homoeopathic Hospital opened the center building (later the Talbot Building) with 40 beds.
Two optional four year courses were offered to allow more in depth work. Thus the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor Surgery degrees were to be awarded at the end of the third year for those going on to the fourth year of study.
The Mass. Homoeopathic Hospital was enlarged to include a surgical wing, a cottage ward for infectious diseases, boiler house and laundry, thus increasing bed capacity to 75.
Training School for Nurses was established, making the Hospital one of the first in the New England area to have such a school.
Westborough Insane Hospital opened. It became one of the largest institutions under homoeopathic management in its time, a clinical resource for BUSM students in mental health.
Both men and women gained access to Boston City Hospital for clinical work. Prior to this date only the male students participated in surgical clinics and observed operations.
Massachusetts Homoeopathic Dispensary began work on another unit at the corner of Harrison and Stoughton Streets bringing the total to four throughout the city.
The four-year course became required, thus eliminating the three year option.
The Homoeopathic Hospital enlarged its facilities again, incorporating the Surgical Annex, Medical Wing, mortuary and new kitchen, to provide 225 beds.
The Medical School added a
new building of 4 stories to house laboratories, a library, museum,
devoted to the osteological department. The basement provided preservation for 48 subjects at 26 degrees indefinitely as well as storage and utilities.
Maternity Dept of the Homoeopathic Hospital was established at 40 West Newton St.
Vose Hall, the Nurse's Home, began construction to provide housing for 100 nurses.
Nurses' Training School expanded to a three year program.
Solomon Carter Fuller graduated from BUSM as the nation's first black psychiatrist
Miss Fanny Farmer of the Boston Cooking School developed a formal dietary service for the Hospital as well as a course in dietetics and cookery for nurses in the Training School.
School of Medicine established its Alumni Association
At the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, BUSM won a gold medal for an exhibit from the Physiological Dept.
At the Louis and Clark Centennial Exposition, BUSM's Pathology Dept. took another gold.
Eleanor Clark Ward for children was moved to 12 E. Brookline Street, thus increasing the hospital bed capacity by 18.
John C. Haynes Memorial Hospital in Allston opened with 100 beds to care for contagious diseases.
The Combination Course was inaugurated whereby medical students could complete undergraduate and medical school in six years. Although it ceased in 1925, it was resurrected in the 1960s to become a national model.
At the International Tuberculosis Congress in Washington, D.C., BUSM took second prize for a collection of pathological specimens illustrating the various lesions of tuberculosis.
Robert Dawson Evans Memorial for Clinical Research established by the widow of the "Rubber King" to investigate the cause, prevention and treatment of disease.
The Flexner Report on Medical
Education commended BUSM for its laboratories and the progressive scientific
work done in them; the dispensaries for their equipment, organization
and conduct; and the school's accomplishments with its small annual
Beginning of the Ph.D. program
in conjunction with the Graduate School. The Doctorate in Philosophy
was offered in Anatomy, Bacteriology, Chemistry, Pathology and Physiology.
The Jennie M. Robinson Memorial Hospital completed to accommodate the increase in maternity and children's work. Thus the Clark Ward closed. The Robinson was the largest Maternity hospital in New England at the time.
First PhD awarded at BUSM.
Base Hospital #44 was organized and staffed by students and faculty from BUSM and Mass. Homoeopathic Hospital. It performed service in France from 1918-1920.
BUSM began its reorganization process (completed by 1921) which resulted in dropping its homeopathic designation.
The Dept. of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics was formally established.
The Combination Course option no longer offered.
The last Bachelor of Medicine degree conferred at graduation
The last Bachelor of Surgery degree conferred at graduation.
Massachusetts Memorial Hospitals became the new name of the former Massachusetts Homoeopathic Hospital, reflecting the change in medical viewpoint and the establishment of individual memorial buildings (Haynes, Evans, Robinson and Talbot) making up the hospital.
The hospital trustees renamed the original Homoeopathic Hospital building in honor of Dr. Israel T. Talbot, the first dean of the school and director of the hospital.
The last year a course in homeopathy offered.
The Collamore Building was constructed from funds from the estate of former trustee, Helen Collamore, in memory of her family.
Medical R.O.T.C. Unit established
Begg Society founded "for the purpose of providing a congenial atmosphere for informal but serious consideration of medical topics".
New Evans Building is opened.
Wartime Program created so 8 semesters would be completed in 3 calendar years. The School contracted with the Army and Navy to train medical students.
Jan. 1st the accelerated Wartime Program is disbanded. Starting that September, the school year would resume Sept.-June.
G.I. Bill of Rights option began to help those students wishing to attend BUSM.
BUSM Women's Club established.
Framingham Heart Study began.
Dept. of Stomatology established at BUSM under the direction of Dr. Henry M. Goldman.
The Law-Medicine Research Institute, the first of its kind in the U.S., established to provide a program of research and training in the interdisciplinary areas of law, medicine and the behavioral sciences.
Six-Year Program combination BA-MD degrees started, the result of a grant from the Rockefeller Foundation.
BUSM combined leadership with Massachusetts Memorial Hospitals to form Boston University Medical Center.
Dr. Henry M. Goldman named first dean of the BU School of Graduate Dentistry, the first school of graduate dentistry in the nation.
Student American Medical Association activated.
Student Neurological Society is established to conduct 6 meetings a year featuring eminent speakers in the field of the neurosciences.
Massachusetts Memorial Hospitals becomes University Hospital.
New Instructional Building opened for medical students in September.
Office of Minority Affairs created.
School of Graduate Dentistry began offering pre-doctoral program leading to the Doctor of Dental Medicine degree.
Boston University assumes professional leadership of Boston City Hospital, concluding the relationships of BCH with Harvard and Tufts medical schools.
Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute established.
School of Graduate Dentistry added four floors to its East Newton St. building, bringing the school to 7 stories.
Combined MD-PhD program began.
MMEDIC Program started. Modular Medical Integrated Curriculum allows limited number of qualified undergrad students who have completed two years of study to start integrating medical and liberal arts courses at BUSM.
Center for Sexual Medicine established - the first of its kind in the U.S.
EMSSP (Early Medical School Selection Program) developed with consortium of historically Black colleges and universities. Soon after, the program is expanded to include Hispanic colleges and the Indian Health Service
Centers for Advancement in Health and Medicine completed.
MD/MPH program established.
Smithwick Symposium established to honor Dr. Reginald Smithwick, Professor & Chairman of the Division of Surgery (1946-1965). Each year a different topic in surgery to be explored by faculty of local and national experts.
Seven-year medical program combining a BA with an MD replaced the six-year program started in 1961.
ENGMEDIC program established to allow students to specialize in medicine and engineering.
City Lab Academy prepares Massachusetts high school graduates for biotech careers.
GMS began combined MD/Ph.D. and MA/Ph.D. programs.
University Hospital becomes Boston University Medical Center Hospital.
Henry I. Russek Student Achievement Day established to celebrate accomplishments of BUSM graduate students.
Center for Advanced Biomedical Research completed.
Citylab Biotech Camp summer lab created to offer high school students opportunities to learn basic concepts and lab skills associated with biotech.
BUSM receives Award for Outstanding Community Service from the Association of American Medical Colleges.
Boston City Hospital merged with Boston University Medical Center Hospital to form Boston Medical Center.
School of Graduate Dentistry became the Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine, reflecting a broader scope than the initial focus on graduate dentistry.
Preznanolone Hemisuccinate, developed by Dr. David H. Farb, Professor and Chairman of the Dept. of Pharmacology, is promising in the fight against stroke by significantly limiting brain damage, is easily and inexpensively produced and has neuroprotective properties.
Outreach Van started to serve the homeless community.
Framingham Heart Study's Post Mortem Brain Tissue Donation Program started to provide significant information in the aging process and neurological diseases.
Sesquicentennial of BUSM celebrated throughout the year in various events.
BUSM named a Center for Wound Healing Excellence--one of 18 institutions throughout the country - due to extensive experience in continuing education and techniques in this area.
Center for Sexual Medicine started to treat women.
Mini Med School established (first in Boston) to offer the public a unique introduction to the framework of medicine through faculty presentations in designated subjects.
The Departments of Emergency Medicine and Family Medicine established.
Cutting from the tree planted by Hippocrates in Kos, Greece, presented to BUSM, the first medical school to receive such an honor.
Ph.D. in Molecular Medicine established.
Medical Student Summer Research Program began for medical students to have research opportunities in addition to their academic and clinical training.
BUSM (one of 41 institutions chosen) received $1.6 million grant from Howard Hughes Medical Institute for Biomedical Research Support Program for Medical Schools to fund clinical/translational research for 4 years.
Ruth and Gordon Snider Professorship in Pulmonary Medicine to honor Dr. Snider as a trailblazer in the field.
Joel and Barbara Alpert Professorship in Pediatrics established. Dr. Alpert implemented continuity clinics at community health centers as well as curriculum emphasis on child development, advocacy and ambulatory services.
Office of Medical Education mounted interactive courses on their website.
Sue Kim Hanson Memorial Lecture established to honor a researcher in the Pulmonary Center who perished along with her husband and daughter in the Sept. 11th World Trade Center attack.
Dr. Phyllis Carr named director of Office of Student Affairs.
ADAPT (Alzheimer's Disease Anti-inflammation Prevention Trial), a funded 7-year study to test the use of anti-inflammatories to prevent Alzheimer's.
Thomas J. Ryan Professorship in Medicine established to honor his contribution to the field of cardiology.
Institute for Sexual Medicine established to encompass the Center for Sexual Medicine and the Laboratory for Sexual Medicine Research, first state of the art academic facility to combine basic sciences, clinical research and a unique training program to better understand and treat sexual health disorders in men and women.
National Cancer Institute awarded BUSM and SPH $1.5 million for Tobacco Cessation and Prevention Education in U.S. Medical Schools program to provide tools needed to counsel patients wishing to quit smoking.
NHLBI awarded $12 million 7-year contract to create a Cardiovascular Proteomics Center designed to develop new diagnostic tests, medications and other treatments for heart disease, arteriosclerosis and sickle cell anemia.
Dept. of Neurosurgery established the Edward L. Spatz, M.D. Award for Excellence in Neurosurgery to honor the long and celebrated career of the late physician who served BUMC for over 40 years.
Karen Grunenbaum Professorship in Cancer Research established by the Foundation of the same name for $2 million as a follow up to the $246 million given since 1958 for fellowships providing stipends for students pursuing cancer research careers, demonstrating the foundation's commitment to excellence in cancer research.
Una Scully Ryan, Ph.D., BUSM Research Professor of Medicine and member of the Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, received the Order of the British Empire (established in 1917) for her research, development and promotion of biotechnology.
BDIC established (BioSquare Discovery & Innovation Center) by BUMC to be a university resurce for BU faculty to seek advice and access to facilities in support of further commercial and promising ventures.
Strategic Research Alliance partnered with Beyond Genomics Inc. to establish a collaborated programs in multi clinical areas like cardiovascular diseases, oncology and CNS disorders. BUSM provides the research faculty and clinical experts, and Beyond the technicians.
Audio Digest Foundation $100,000 grant for BUSM continuing education program - one of five schools chosen.
Dr. Robert Witzburg named Dean of Admissions.
Drs. Danru Lee and Howard Liu teamed up with the Voice of America Health Program via Satellite TV and Internet to help people in China and US better understand values and limits in both traditional Western and Chinese medicine.
Marshak Lectureship in Immunotherapy established to honor the late Ruth Marshak whios daughter and son-in-law are BUSM faculty (Drs. Ann Marshak-Rothstein and Thomas Rothstein) to facilitate creative collaborative human interactions to stimulate research leading to more humane and effective therapies for future generations.
Department of Genetics & Genomics, headed by Michael Christman, Ph.D., to centralize focus and build on university's considerable genetic research strengths to provide training of scientisits in most advanced methods for studying gene and protein function.
GMS established Master's in Clinical Investigation Program designed to train students to create, implement and oversee translational research and clinical trials, facilitate interactions between and among scienctists and research clinicians in pharmacology, biotechnology and medical device industries.
BUMC's Boston Center for Refugee Health and Human Rights (started in 1989) received $500K federal grant for the program Project Welcome to assist refugees and torture victims settling in Boston, an effort to bridge the cultural gap not filled by mainstream services.
Autism Research Center of Excellence established - one of 8 in the country; BUSM one of 6 medical schools chosen; $7.6 million funded by NIH.
Save a life: heart and stroke community education partnered BUSM students with the American Heart Association to educate the public about heart disease and stroke.
BUSM, GMS and Division of Psychiatry combined forces to create an M.A.degree in mental health and behavioral medicine - the first of its kind in the U.S. This 2-year 60 credit program prepares graduates for mental health counseling with complementary background in behavioral medicine and neurology.
Aid for Cancer Research, a local nonprofit organization, granted BUSM funding to purchase equipment designed to conduct research more efficiently thus slashing time needed to measure immune responses of different cells.
MIRAGE (Multi Institutional Research in Alzheimer Genetic Epidemiology) netted $14 million from NIH as part of its continuing Alzheimer projects.
BU Aging Research Center established - one of 5 in the country - to be a partnership between medical and main campuses to provide innovative, interdisciplinary and culturally relevant research.
Dr. Aram V. Chobanian becomes President ad interim of BU.
BUSM and SED collaborate on a Master Education Training Fellowship Program, a full time program to enable graduates to pursue roles in academic field.
M.A./Ph.D. in Medical Nutritional Sciences established.
Grant award received for construction of BUMC National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories (NEIDL), to house research up to biosafety level 4 (BSL-4), the highest established precautionary measures.
Treatment pioneered at BUSM in 1994 shown to improve the survival rate of patients with AL amyloidosis.
GMS celebrates a decade of growth.
BUSM tapped to lead Vasculitis Clinical Research Consortium (VCRC) with an NIH 5-year $6.25 million grant.
Academies of Advisors, a mentoring program to help students throughout medical school.
Center for Biomedical Imaging has the first MRI scanner dedicated to research.
Chief Resident Immersion Training in the Care of Older Adults established to give physicians the tools to provide good care to this particular group.
American Cancer Society grant for $750 k for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma research.
ADNI (Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative), a NIA $60 million 5-year public/private study to understand brain changes in mild cognitive impairment from Alzheimer's.
Dept. of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine established annual lectureship in honor of Dr. Stanley Robbins, pathologist, teacher and author.
Dr. Aram V. Chobanian officially designated 9th President of BU
Dr. Karen H. Antman named Dean of BUSM and Provost of BUMC: the first woman dean of BUSM.
GMS premiered Master of Science Degree program in Genetic Counseling, the first of its kind to be located within an academic medical center.
BUMC's Geriatric Medical, Dental and Psychiatric Fellowship Training Program created with a $3.1 million 5-year grant to provide clinical and teaching scholarship opportunities for fellows interested in being clinicians and academic leaders in elderly care.
Framingham Genetic Research Study formed to identify genes underlying cardiovascular and other chronic diseases with 500,000 genetic analyses of DNA of 8,000 study participants across 3 generations.
GMS starts M.S. Program in Genetic Counseling, the only program of its kind within an academic center in New England.
John McCahan Medical Education Day established to honor Dr. McCahan's dedication and contributions to the medical school in 31 years of service.
GMS's M.A. program in Bio Imaging established to bridge the gap between a lengthy Ph.D. program and a very short certification program for medical technicians.
GMS's M.S. Program in Biomedical Forensic Sciences established--one of few forensic sciences programs in the country based at a major medical center and the only graduate program in the subject in Massachusetts, second of its kind in New England.
Gold Humanism Honor Society, BUSM Chapter, initiated at the request of Dr. Antman, coordinated by Drs. John Noble and Susan Sarfaty. Sponsored and organized by the Arnold P. Gold Foundation: the purpose is to elevate the values of the humanist professional in the field of medicine.
Dr. Abdulmaged Traish named winner of the Metcalf Cup and prize for teaching excellence.
Avon Foundation awarded $675K for biomedical research and purchase of new equipment to aid in fight against breast cancer.
BUMC's Long Life Family Study, the first of its kind to research long life factors that run in families, one of 3 U.S. sites selected by NIH to participate in the international research on long life factors.
Construction begun on BUMC NEIDL.
Jerome Serchuck Award named after the Chairman Emeritus of the BUSM Board of Visitors to recognize exceptional poster presentations by students participating in the Medical Student Summer Research Program.
BUSM Dept. of Genetics and Genomics, led by Dr. Alan Herbert, compiled the results of the first comprehensive survey of the human genetic differences affecting the risk of 250 common diseases and made such findings available on the web.
Dr. Aram V. Chobanian elected Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences.
Annual lecture series inaugurated to honor Dr. Nancy Bucher, Research Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine whose research advanced the knowledge of the relationship of liver regeneration and uncontrolled growth in cancer cells.
SORL1, a new gene associated with late onset of Alzheimer's, discovered by BUSM geneticists team led by Dr. Lindsay Farrar in conjunction with researchers from the University of Toronto and Columbia University.
Clinical Skills and Simulation Center, one of the nation's most advanced training centers for medical students, created to train and test in the areas of interviewing, communication, physical examination and data synthesis.
BUMC and BMC share a $23 million NIH clinical & translational science award (5-year grant) to move laboratory discoveries more quickly to improve patient care.
Jeffrey W. Hutter named Dean of Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine.
Chief Resident Immersion Training in Care of Older Adults (begun in 2005) is replicated in 13 medical schools nationwide.
Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy, in collaboration with the Sports Legacy Institute, to use a multidisciplinary approach to understand the long-term effects of repetitive concussions in athletes.
Genome Science Institute to collaborate across departments of the medical campus in diverse genetic and genomic programs.
BU Center for Neuroscience, a partnership between Charles River Campus and the Medical Center, to provide interdisciplinary collaboration and innovation with student training to begin Sept. 2009.
BUSM committed to build student residence on Albany St., a long-standing goal.
GMS offered M.S. program in Medical Community Disaster Preparedness and Crisis Management, the only degree program of its kind offered at medical school in the U.S.
GMS offered M.S. in Forensic Anthropology, the only one of its kind offered in an anatomy dept. of a medical school in the U.S., designed to train students in theory, practice and methods of biological and skeletal anthropology to be employed by forensic anthropologists in medico-legal death investigations.
BUSM-Armenia Partnership awarded $700K worth of neurosurgical medical devices from Integra LifeSciences Holdings Co.
GMS's Biomedical Forensic Sciences Program director, Robin Cotton, Ph.D., awarded $900K from the National Institute of Justice to support the project Training Course for the Forensic Practitioner: Laboratory Experience with Biological Evidence. The end result will be the development of interactive tools in the form of a CD to help with the problem and time consuming areas of forensic DNA testing involving the interpretation of sample mixtures.
Osamu Shimomura, BUSM Adjunct Professor of Physiology and Professor of Physiology Emeritus, won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his discovery of green fluorescent protein (GFP), which makes jellyfish glow. With the aid of GFP, researchers can watch processes previously invisible such as the development of brain nerve cells and how cancer cells spread.
Construction completed on BUMC NEIDL, with space for research at biosafety levels 2-4. Opening delayed due to community concerns regarding safety.
Anonymous pledge of $10.5 million will create a Breast Cancer Research Center, an assistant professorship and an international training program.
Michael Holick, M.D., BUSM Professor of Medicine, Physiology and Biophysics, won the Linus Pauling Prize for Health Research. He revolutionized the understanding of Vitamin D and its role in disease prevention.
Carl Franzblau Symposium, a two-day celebration to honor the nearly 50-year career of the Professor and Chair of the Dept. of Biochemistry and Associate Dean of the GMS Division.
Alice K. Jacobs, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory and Interventional Cardiology, received the American Heart Association Gold Heart Award to recognize volunteers who have provided distinguished service.
Dr. Karen Antman, Dean of BUSM and Provost of BUMC, elected to the U.S. Institute of Medicine.
NEIDL approved for BSL-2 research.
Medical Student Residence opens at 815 Albany St. with 104 two-bedroom apartments.
Dedicated Testing Center built on 11th floor of School of Medicine building.